This weekend is our annual Morning of Montessori. A beautiful time for your child to show you three of his favorite lessons. A few nuggets for you to remember as you share this time with your child:
• This is a time for you and your child. Visits with other parents can wait until after the time in the classroom. This shows your child you respect the work she is doing.
• Sit on in chairs or on the floor. I know the chairs are a bit small but squeeze yourself into them for the 20 minutes. We do not sit on the tables. This shows your child that we respect the furniture in the classroom.
• Walk around the work rugs. The rugs define the area to keep our work on. This shows your child respect for the environment.
• Carefully take out pieces from baskets, trays, puzzles, boxes. We never dump the work out…yes it takes a much shorter time but not how we demonstrate to the children. This shows your child respect for the treatment of the materials.
• Try to sit quietly to receive the lesson from your child. Let him talk and show you how to do the work, remember he is the expert in the classroom. This shows your child you respect her abilities.
More than likely, your child will correct you, if you do one of the above….she has pride in our Montessori community.